Look at America

Look_at_America-1.jpg

Look was a popular bi-weekly magazine that ran from 1937 to 1971 and had an emphasis on photography rather than articles, a bit like Life Magazine. In the files, I found a number of photographs from an exhibition titled Look at America, but I have found no other documentation about this exhibition—I can’t even tell with certainty what year it took place in the University Gallery. The introductory wall text reads:

An exhibition of LOOK magazine photographs prepared by the editors of LOOK in co-operation with the American Federation of Arts. Theme titles from the poetry of Archibald MacLeish.

I do know that from 1946-1956, the Look editors published a series of books called Look at America, so I can guess that this exhibition stemmed from the books and eventually made its way as a ready-made show to the University Gallery. (Perhaps we’ll uncover more information on this exhibition in the files we have yet to comb through!)

Look_at_America-4.jpg Look_at_America-2.jpg Look_at_America-3.jpg

Update: The exhibition occurred in 1957 (thanks to Rebecca for finding the date in the Minnesota Daily archives). We also found the poster for this show: another gem:

poster_Look-at-America.jpg

1 Comment on "Look at America"

1. The June 21, 1957 MN Daily merely references the exhibit closing, “The University Gallery exhibit, ‘Look at America’ will close today.”

http://www.mndaily.com/archives/pdfs/1957/06/21