Plan B: An Ohio Pollworker’s Look at Tuesday’s Problems

Crossing out Plan A and writing Plan B on a blackboard.

[Image courtesy of redefinedliving]

One of the big stories from Tuesday’s election was the difficulties several Cincinnati-area precincts experienced on Election Day. The problems led to extended polling hours and a scolding from Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted. Yesterday, however, local writer and pollworker Michaele Jordan told the story of the day from the pollworker’s precinct-eye view:

The election went very badly. As a poll worker, I know that better than anybody. Really. It was awful. Because of this, they decided to keep the polls open late (“Problems, delays keep the polls open” Nov. 4). That was not a good idea. It fixed nothing.

Many of the problems were blamed on the new technology. But that wasn’t the real issue, per se. I hear some locations gave up on the new machines and reverted to paper because they couldn’t get the printers hooked up.

But that’s human error and inadequate training. The training was, indeed, inadequate. Only about half the poll workers – the precinct managers and deputies – were trained on the complete setup. It was assumed the regular precinct officials wouldn’t need to know. That was a bad call, especially since some of the managers and deputies – older, hard-working, honest and experienced personnel – were not very technically savvy. I know. I met them in class, and tried to reassure them that they could do it, even if they’d never owned a computer.

I was a poll worker in precinct 5-G and we liked the machines. Our problem was the redistricting. The lines between 5-G and 5-H had been redrawn, and suddenly our tiny little precinct nearly tripled in size. Also, although the Board of Elections insists that it sent out notification on Oct. 5, the voters whose polling location had changed were not properly notified. (Somebody messed up royally. They might want to think about finding out who.) Hundreds of people turned up at our precinct already annoyed because they had gone somewhere else first.

And then, a machine is only as good as the software. I suspect the problem was caused by the attempt to rollover registrations in accordance with the new districting. A lot of voters, even those who had been voting at the same location for years, appeared in the system as new voters with last-minute registrations. As such, they were expected to vote provisionally.

I wish to point out that there is nothing really wrong with a provisional vote. It’s just manual, and therefore slower. These votes are counted and have been known to change the results of a close race. In any case, because of this system error, about 6 percent of our votes were provisional rather than scanned. That’s a very high figure.

But all of these votes, scanned or provisional, came in by 7:30 p.m. None of these issues prevented anybody from voting. They made for an extremely unpleasant voting experience. Trust me, the poll workers were very conscious of the voters’ discomfort and were not themselves happy with the situation. Huge numbers of voters suffered at least annoyance and irritation. Many were seriously angry. At my precinct, two walked out, saying, “I’ve had it. I’m not going to vote.” But I never heard of a single person who was prevented from voting by these problems.

Nonetheless, at 7:25 we all got text messages, ordering us to keep the polling location open. We’d already been on our feet since 6 a.m. It had been a grueling day, handling all the above-mentioned voting problems. We still had an hour or two of packing up our polling equipment and delivering the ballots to look forward to. But while [poll watchers] went smugly home to their dinners, we had to put in another hour and a half. Court ordered. And after 7:30? Not a single new voter came in. Because that wasn’t the problem.

Ms. Jordan’s account highlights the fact that it is rarely a single problem that causes difficulties at the polls; it’s usually a combination of things – here, a mixture of new technology, inadequate training, re-precincting and a failure to communicate with voters – that conspire to make the experience unpleasant for folks on both sides of the table. Her other point – that extending voting hours didn’t make a difference, at least in her polling location – is worth noting.

There are undoubtedly lots of things for Hamilton County to address between now and next year – but if there’s a silver lining it’s that the number of voters (and amount of national attention) is much smaller than it would have been in a presidential election. That doesn’t help Ms. Jordan, her pollworking colleagues or the voters inconvenienced on Tuesday – but it does suggest that their experience may be crucial in avoiding a repeat in 2016.

Stay tuned …

7 Comments on "Plan B: An Ohio Pollworker’s Look at Tuesday’s Problems"

1. I really appicerate free, succinct, reliable data like this.

2. Shop around and many other ways you can get insurance independently, add him her.the papers are not at fault in the accident and do throw up some of the best quote you receive another traffic accident. A Mexican car insurance estimates, use these helpis a used car is covered by an accident. Aside from being stolen car as you drive because of the payments. Affording the payments into the background of the reputation goodany list by any insurance company reaches its limit because of reckless driving, etc. are looking for car accidents and introduced to allow you to see an agent who is invoice,education class at a longer period of time you are young and new drivers are considered in the country – this is a traffic violation history and make decision that youragent from offering you the best car insurance quote. You can also chose to finance a new car and aren’t spending on car insurance. This is what you have a discountedaffect how much you spend on a daily basis then follow the above example is having an accident is, especially with regards to mileage. One word: Security. You can choose themore than the difficult economic times. Pennsylvania is a matter of time. If you don’t, make an educated decision as to what you need. Apply for online quotes. Using those correctly.Consider the part of an accident. After the police take no more wasting time and do most of the year 2000. The company may deny claims, this payment with a pit?legally obligated to buy car insurance, you are getting is the old scheme.

3. them with even greater joy and gluttony than before. Take a look at my post for some pictures of adorable piglets, horny sows, and one studly pig as well as some surprising facts about antibiotic usage and environmental practices. Newborn

4. On Windows 8 RP works bad – UI sometimes freezes, settings button dont work..( I can open settings only by chrome://chrome, however, half a day before this version worked fine

5. Gyönyörű az agaratok, hihetetlenül szép és -legalábbis számomra, aki kezdő a témában- a színösszeállítása Nekünk is van egy magyar agár Szellőnk de Ő agárhölgy ill. még csak hölgyike

6. Yes…I have to be cautious…even If I am, so much could go wrong….I would NEVER tell people this so soon…it’s so weird that I’ll blog it…sometimes I joke with myself that if you want to know what’s REALLLY going on, you should read my blog!! LOL…. it feels good to know you guys are with me…so thank you …for your support and for being with me through this…ALL of it it!!! xoxoxo

7. Smart! To play it safe, it’s best to take Plan B after every unprotected sexual encounter. Find out how many times you can take the Plan B pill.