Colorado Case Tests Legal Limits of Ballot Secrecy

secret.ballot.jpg

[Image courtesy of 3news]

Last week, a U.S. federal court judge threw out a suit against Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler and three county clerks seeking to stop the printing of barcodes on ballot for this November’s election.

From the Denver Post:

Saying there is no fundamental right to a secret ballot, a federal judge Friday dismissed a lawsuit filed by elections integrity activists that challenged whether counties can print ballots with identifying numbers that critics say can be traced back to individual voters easily.

Denver U.S. District Judge Christine Arguello first denied a request by the Citizen Center, a group that advocates transparency in elections, to block counties temporarily from printing ballots with identifying bar codes.

Arguello then dismissed the entire case, filed against Secretary of State Scott Gessler and the clerks in Boulder, Chaffee and Eagle counties.

The lawsuit was aimed at preventing Boulder County in particular from using a system that printed a series of bar codes and numbers on ballots. The system was meant to be a work-around to comply with an emergency rule put in place by Gessler that counties could not use ballots with identifying markings.

I blogged about an earlier version of this dispute way back in Ocotber 2011. Back then, I identified three questions that needed to be answered:

1. Why do election officials currently collect the data at issue here (ballot style, precinct, voting method, etc.) – that is, what value does it add to their election administration processes?

2. Is such data valuable enough that it justifies continuing to shield individual ballots from scrutiny under the court order and pending regulations?

3. If not, how can/should election clerks change their ballot processing and data collection regimes to allow for transparency of ballots without compromising ballot secrecy or the need for efficient and effective election administration?

The answer to the first question – why collect the data? – appears to be that election officials want the ability to troubleshoot the process if problems occur.

It’s hard to answer the second question given that it involves an assessment of value, but clerks have felt strongly enough about the barcodes that they have vigorously fought any restrictions in court and in the Legislature.

On the third question, it would appear that clerks have responded to concerns (and a Secretary of State order) about ballot secrecy by modifying the system of barcodes used. From the Boulder Daily Camera:

Boulder County’s ballots have three sets of numbers and bar codes — one that identifies the election, one that identifies the precinct and ballot content (which jurisdictions and ballot questions the voter is voting on) and one that identifies the ballot.

Until recently, every Boulder County ballot had a unique number that distinguished it from every other ballot. That number made it easy for election workers to retrieve a specific ballot if it wouldn’t scan properly or had over- or undervotes that needed to be assessed manually.

However, election integrity activists contended that through comparisons with voter rolls, those unique numbers could reveal how individual people voted.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler issued an emergency ruling earlier this year that prohibited any identifying markings on ballots. Because Hall wanted to keep numbers on the ballots to facilitate finding problems during counting, she proposed to repeat each ballot number across precincts and ballot styles so that the number would no longer be unique.

The Secretary of State’s Office accepted this solution, at least for the November election, but activists still had concerns that the ballots could be identified.

Those concerns prompted the latest federal lawsuit, where activists sought to have a federal court block use of the barcodes under a federal claim of ballot secrecy.

The upshot from last week’s ruling appears to be that the district court judge thought they were in the wrong court and using the wrong theory. Notwithstanding the popular notion that judges have unfettered ability to resolve disputes, courts (and especially federal courts) tend to be very careful about using their authority – or even finding it exists in the first place. You can see this in reports about the ruling:

Before attorneys for [plaintiffs] could make their case Friday, Arguello grilled them on where in federal case law she might find a federal right to have a ballot be completely anonymous. While Colorado law says that ballots cannot have any identifying marks on them, Arguello said she hadn’t seen evidence the federal court actually had jurisdiction over the case.

Arguello said a voter making a free choice not to vote because of concerns about ballot integrity was not the same as the government preventing someone from voting.

“This is not a poll tax,” she said. “This is not saying, ‘You cannot vote because you’re black.’ This is not saying, ‘You can’t vote because you’re a woman.'”

In her ruling, Arguello said the fact that there is a state law forbidding election workers from revealing votes indicates that lawmakers never intended to make ballots absolutely anonymous, even to elections workers.

She indicated she did not believe the practices of the various Colorado county clerks violated even state law. Regardless, there was no federal jurisdiction because no fundamental rights were being violated. Arguello said federal judges need to be very careful about establishing new fundamental rights, and she did not believe that [this] case rose to that level.

Arguello called the harm created by the fear that a vote might possibly be revealed “hypothetical” and “conjectural.”

It remains to be seen if plaintiffs will appeal the federal ruling or try to stop the barcodes in state court – but for the time being it would appear that barcodes will continue to appear on Colorado ballots this fall. It’s also a useful reminder that litigation to address election policy disputes never comes with a guarantee of success.

15 Comments on "Colorado Case Tests Legal Limits of Ballot Secrecy"

1. The decision to stop bar code labels to be printed for the ballots was a decision well taken.

2. You were inherently created whole, capable of receiving the gift of
    healing that has been yours all along, if you possibly could open towards the best transformative process in creation, that relating to recognizing yourself as holy.
    Any set of magnets will make a magnet field with all the magnetic lines of force curving in one for the other.

You win control and initiate following through to get better patients, work
    smarter, making more money.

3. This might actually open your ‘exposure gateway’ to major news search websites.
    You can’t set your marketing strategy lackig the knowledge of should
    your keyword phrases or keywords are popular with searchers with your field.
    It is a great source of income but you have to give a
    good product which takes work.

4. What’s ᥙр colleagues, its wonderful post on the topic of teachingand fulⅼy defined, keep it up
    all tһe time.

5. Any message you might have for your prospective customer, should have inside it a title or an opening that ought to be appealing
    to your prospects. UNLESS making that you simply demonstration, and also
    then, you should be suspicious. It is a great income source but you might have to give you a good product knowning that takes efforts.

6. The trick is to stop pretending you’re not eating the
    one thing once you quite clearly are. It is a member with the carrot family, so if you’re responsive to
    one member, you’re likely to be allergic to all. Diet
    plays a crucial role in general health including brain health.

7. You were inherently created whole, able to
    receiving the gift of healing that’s been yours all along, if you’re
    able to open on the best transformative process in creation, that of recognizing yourself as holy.
    Any set of magnets will develop a magnet field while using magnetic
    lines of force curving from towards the other. The practice
    seeks to optimize the flow of Qi, and so the method of getting healthy nutrient materials for the reproductive organs.

8. Do you have any video of that? I’d care to find out more details.

9. After looking over a ffew of the blog articles
    on your blog, I seriously appreciate your way of writing a
    blog. I book-marked it to myy bookmark webpage list annd will bbe
    checking back in the near future. Please check ouut my web site too and let me know your opinion.

10. Hi, I do believe this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it 😉 I
    will returrn yeet again since i have saved as
    a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may yyou be rich and continue to guide others.

11. Fantastic web site. A lot of helpful info here. I’m sending it tto severa pals anss additionally sharing in delicious.

And obviously, thaank you in your sweat!

12. This post has very useful report, Thank you Nice post
    I like your site one of the great sites online, was looking for speicific
    information found this.
    Great and helpful information Thank you.

Thank for Posting valuable information, it’ll beneficial to all surely.

very easy and clear to comprehend. It has helped me a complete lot.

thank you thus much for provding such information and making stuff simpler to understand.

Thanks for sharing this article. I learn a complete great deal with this content.

Helpful Post.Excellent YOUR PROJECTS Thank for sharing…
    I am simply impressed reaxing hour post on blog page. I
    had not the real notion of blog comment but thank for you that you sharrd the the exact issues what
    I needed.
    Wow What an informative blog, I Like Your Blog this is full of informative content
    really. It’s Establishing and layout can be
    good this is a quality of content each content is filled with useful information. Thanks for talk about this article.

I read most of your site & I am pursuing you for the last 2 years,
    I get so many details . Tjanks for sharing & keep sharing more.

I appreciate way you have the things in your blog post present.

A lots of information is here and I trained huge from it.Many thanks for posting this article
    Informative and excellent article as normal. I shall make
    an effort to adhere to your valuable guidelines, mostly l like the content harmony.

13. This might actually start your ‘exposure gateway’ to
    major news search websites. This will be your sales and marketing hub, where you’ll
    write articles, reviews as well as videos.

If you neglect the effect and influence of search engine marketing in web business; just be certain that the
    business’s survival chance is quite bleak and minimal.

14. This post offers clear idea in support of the new people
    of blogging, that genuinely how to do blogging.

15. Many people make the most of such programs, particularly if flower purchases are
    manufactured often. Not only do one can choose frkm a wonderful
    range off pinks, purples, whites, oranges and yellows, but additionally illuminaye
    the area with huge open bloons and contrasting green stalks.
    If the soil has been prepared beforehand, a dent 30 * 30 cm is going to be
    sufficient, but otherwise, as an exampple when planting the rose like a single plant inside thee lawn, it willl need to be 50
    * 50 cm.