As Summer Ends, electionlineWeekly Profiles L.A.’s Venice Beach Polling Place

Venice_Beach_Lifeguard_Tower1

[Image courtesy of electionlineWeekly]

Today marks the last Friday of summer – on the calendar if not the meteorological charts – and electionlineWeekly’s Mindy Moretti is in the spirit with a look at a polling place where it’s almost always summer:

A few tables and chairs, voting equipment, signage and dedicated volunteers — polling places across the country all contain similar elements, but what makes them unique is where they are located.

With this weekend marking the unofficial end to summer, we thought we’d profile a polling place where summer never ends.

Los Angeles County is home to many unique polling places, from remote islands only accessible by boat to garages to a hotel, but without out a doubt one of the most unique is at the lifeguard station in Venice Beach.

To be clear, the polling place isn’t located in the picturesque lifeguard tower –  it’s in the lifeguard headquarters [above], but it is still at the beach where voters cast their ballots with the sound of waves crashing in the background and the scent of suntan lotion lingering in the air.

Los Angeles County lifeguards are a division of the Los Angeles County Fire Department and while fire stations are used as polling places nationwide, this is the only polling place at a lifeguard station electionline is aware of.

According to Los Angeles County Registrar of Voters Dean Logan, the polling place has been in use for about 14 years now — some 40+ elections.

On average, there are approximately 2,600 registered voters eligible to vote at this polling place during major elections and voter turnout is typically 17 percent (on average).

Since the polling place is located at the beach does it have a different dress code than other polling places? Logan said no, so even if you’re not wearing shoes or a shirt, you’ll get service.

“Other than adhering to no ‘electioneering’ laws — e.g. visible display of candidate names, logos, ballot measures on shirts, buttons, etc. — there are no established rules about attire at the polling place,” Logan said.

Surprisingly, the Venice Beach polling place is actually one of the more difficult polling places to staff on Election Day.

“The precincts placed in this polling place are considered ‘hard to recruit’ precincts, which result in recruiting poll workers outside of precinct,” Logan said.

With a polling place located at the beach, one could think this is ripe for all sorts of problems. Sand in the voting machines, carnauba wax on ballots, the possibilities are endless, but Logan said they have not experienced any problems like that at the site and the only complaint they have on file was about a problem with a drain cover in the sidewalk leading up to the entrance of the polling place.

“There is nothing we can think of that is unique about this polling place other that its located at the beach,” Logan said.

Exactly!

Thanks to Mindy for this farewell to summer (and hello to election season?) … The blog will, like many of you, take Labor Day off but we’ll be back next Tuesday September 8!

13 Comments on "As Summer Ends, electionlineWeekly Profiles L.A.’s Venice Beach Polling Place"

1. Fabulous, what a website it is! This webpage gives valuable facts to
    us, keep it up.

2. You should take part in a contest for one of the finest blogs on the internet.
    I will highly recommend this website!

3. Tremendous things here. I’m very satisfied to see your article.

Thanks a lot and I’m taking a look forward to touch you. Will
    you kindly drop me a e-mail?

4. I visit everyday some websites and sites to read articles or reviews, but
    this web site provides quality based posts.

5. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.

Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb
    blog!

6. Appreciation to my father who stated to me regarding this website, this web site is truly awesome.

7. Hello mates, how is everything, and what you would like to say regarding this paragraph,
    in my view its actually remarkable designed for me.

8. Hi there everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and
    post is really fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these articles.

9. I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the blogger lovers except
    this paragraph is truly a good post, keep it up.

10. hi!,I really like your writing very much! share we keep up a correspondence extra about your article on AOL?

I require a specialist in this house to resolve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Taking a look forward to peer you.

11. wonderful issues altogether, you just received a new reader.
    What might you recommend in regards to your put up that
    you just made some days in the past? Any certain?

12. I am no longer certain where you’re getting your info, however great topic.
    I needs to spend a while learning more or figuring out more.
    Thank you for great info I was searching for this info for my mission.

13. Hi I am so happy I found your website, I really found you by error,
    while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a incredible post and a
    all round interesting blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it
    and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up
    the awesome work.