Senate.Rules.jpg

[Image screenshot courtesy of Senate Rules]

It’s a busy day at the U.S. Senate Rules Committee, where the Committee is scheduled to engage in discussions about past and future approaches to the proper federal role in election policy.

At 10am Eastern, the Committee is scheduled to hear from the co-chairs of the Presidential Commission on Election Administration about their views on the best way for the nation’s election system to tackle the problem of long lines and other challenges.

And then, at 1030am Eastern, the Committee is scheduled to hold a business meeting on two Democratic nominees for the U.S. Election Commission, Myrna Perez and Thomas Hicks.

In one sense, it makes sense for the Committee to discuss both topics at the same time, given that both involve the federal government’s role in election policy. But as we’ve already seen, it isn’t clear if there is a future of federal policy that involves both – as my colleague Brian Newby has noted, the PCEA report barely mentions the EAC, leading him to conclude that “the EAC is now a ‘was’.”

On the other hand, the recent rule changes in the Senate mean that the Democratic majority has the ability to force a vote the EAC nominations despite steadfast opposition from Republicans. I hadn’t thought that would be a result of the new rules, but it appears I’m wrong.

It will be interesting to see how the discussion develops – I wouldn’t be surprised to hear the PCEA co-chairs asked more directly about their views on the future of the EAC, nor would I be to hear the EAC nominees asked about the PCEA report (and the remarks immediately preceding).

We are at another moment in the ongoing discussion about what (if any) role the federal government should play in election policy – highlighted by the debate about the Voting Rights Act and a new federal initiative to address felon disenfranchisement – so it will be fascinating to see how the Committee and its guests feel about it as well.

I’m still unconvinced that the will exists on Capitol Hill to resuscitate the EAC, especially since it could reanimate fierce partisan divisions that could interfere with efforts to find common ground on implementing the PCEA report.

But I’m not a member of the Senate Rules Committee, and that’s why they have hearings.

The sessions will be webcast at the Senate Rules Committee website. Tune in – and stay tuned for further developments.