A recent acquisition to the archives project is the records for the Alpha Epsilon Iota women’s medical fraternity. In 1901 women medical students at the University opened the fifth national chapter of AEI that acted as a support organization by providing housing, social activities and fundraising. Ruth Boynton was an early alumna of AEI and later assisted the organization during the 1940s. During the increased enrollments of women in the medical school in the 1970s, the AEI had a difficult time maintaining its identity and holdings. In 1979 it sold its two properties at 524 & 528 Ontario St. SE. In 1982 the AEI split into two separate organizations, the AEI Foundation and the Minnesota Women Physicians. Proceeds from the sale of the properties helped to establish the AEI Foundation.
The collection is approximately 1 linear foot and contains AEI meeting minutes, incorporation documents, and records related to the sale of the fraternity’s houses and start up of the foundation. There is also a scrap book documenting social activities and news clippings of AEI students/alumni during the 1950s.
Pictured: AEI National Convention, Galveston, TX, 1950